Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dealing With Homeland Security

I played in a charity outing for the Disabled American Veterans yesterday.  It was at Selfridge Golf Course.  It was a real experience entering a government installation on the day before the anniversary of 9/11.  Security was beefed up, and I was asked to pull over and register in the guard shack when I entered the base.  I was standing in a line of 10 or so people, and was dealing with the red tape just fine, when a couple got in line behind me, with the woman raving at the top of her lungs about the actions of the senior guard at the entry gate.  Apparently he had directed his coworker to do something, and that offended her.  She complained at high volume about how things were going just fine until he opened his mouth.  He overheard her, of course (everyone within a city block did, I swear) and said: "hey are you telling me how to do my job?".  She yelled back: "well, apparently someone has to!"
The rest of us just stood there, trying very hard not to engage, and suddenly there were two uniformed (and armed) national guardsmen removing her from the line and taking her off to the side for a "discussion".  Well, I was cleared just about that time,so I got out of there quickly.  All I could think about was how stupid it was to get into it with federal security officials in this day and age.  I didn't see either her or her husband at the golf outing.  I suspect they never made it on to the base. 
The outing was really fun, though.  The weather cooperated beautifully, and we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment