Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comfort Food From the Past

Every so often, the Hubs makes one of my favorite meals for dinner. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. The tomato soup's for me (not liking tomatoes, he generally has chicken noodle). And, I gotta tell you, this meal reminds me of the traditional Friday night suppers we used to have after driving up to the lake. The cottage was always ice cold, and after Mom lit the DuoTherms (oil space heaters, for lack of a better description), she would make grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for supper. The hot soup would go down so good in that cold house.

I would also often have a screaming headache from the stress of leaving town on a Friday afternoon and spending three hours in the car (you would really have to know my family dynamic to understand). So, hot soup was especially comforting.

Tonight (after having a migraine earlier this week), it really took me back. I love to recall those old childhood memories.

1 comment:

  1. So driving to the lake wasn't all rainbows and unicorns and cupcakes? :) I hate migraines. I'm glad you feel better!

    ReplyDelete