Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Hubs' Diet

It was a significant event in my childhoood when Dad went on his diet (I was around 12, as I recall). He wasn't about to be involved with all the choices and calculations, so he made a deal with Mom that he wouldn't eat anything she didn't give him. She did all the rest (that suited her mathematical/statistical nature as well). The real problem that I saw with this arrangement was that Dad was completely dependent on Mom for his food choices. Fine if you are always together, but there were times (like when Mom fell and broke her hip) that he had to fend for himself.

So, when the Hubs started working with a nutritionist recently, I decided to butt out as much as possible. As is his nature, he has jumped in with both feet. He is surfing nutritional websites to gather information, and is keeping a food diary that rivals even the statistics on one of our golf scorecards. Last night we went out to dinner, and it was he who decided we would split a steak and sweet potato, have a simple side salad, and asked the waitress to leave the bread off the table all together. Part of my "butt out" philosophy is not to ask him what he weighs, but I have lost 5 pounds already. I think it's working!

1 comment: