Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Ticket With A Twist

A couple weeks ago I was heading to Port Huron to have lunch with my sisters.  Listening to an audiobook, as I usually do, I was happily cruising up Lapeer road.  Then I saw the flashing lights behind me.  Rats!  A speeding ticket!  The officer was quick to point out that he had let me off easy by only writing it for 5 mph over the limit, and that he had only given me a warning for not using my turn signal when I changed lanes.  Nevertheless, it was 95 bucks I didn't need to spend, not to mention the 2 points on my record.  I paid it the next day, and proceeded to put it out of my mind, assuring myself the three years it would take to clear my record would go by in no time.Today I got a letter from the Secretary of State telling me, based on my driving record, I have the opportunity to take a Basic Driver Improvement Course.  If I do so prior to December 11, the points will not appear on my record, and the violation will not be reported to insurance companies.  Of course, the fee for the course added to what the ticket already cost me may not be worth keeping a clean record.  But, it sure beats waiting three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment