Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keeping Our President Safe

I am essentially pretty naive, I guess. I knew the security around the White House had been kicked up since September 11, but I had no idea of the extent. Sure, I expected to see the shooters on the roof. But, I was taken aback by the fact that Pennsylvania Ave is completely closed off for a few blocks, as it passes in front of the grounds. OK, that makes sense. So, we walked along the sidewalk (and fence) to the point where we were standing directly in front of the White House. As I paused to get a picture, the guard started moving the crowd to each side, making sure there was no one standing directly in front of the building (in other words, we were separated by at least a city block). Then a small motorcade went by, after which we were allowed to walk in front of the building again. (The kids coming home for lunch? Who knows.)

We walked back down Pennsylvania, past the Treasury building (which was also blocked off), and at the end of the blockade there was a spot where cars and trucks could enter (a delivery entrance, if you will). At that point, the vehicles were stopped and searched, including opening hoods and trunks, and a complete search by bomb-sniffing dogs. We watched as three or four vehicles were cleared. An amazing process.

Now I see why it was so difficult to score tickets for the tour. I don't disagree with any of these efforts, mind you, but it does detract from my image of the White House as being open to the public. Still true in fact, but it loses something as we strive to protect our president. Sad...

1 comment:

  1. I think it was Martha who put a wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier. I think it was because she won an essay contest about what it means to be an American or something like that

    ReplyDelete