Thursday, March 25, 2010

The IRS

I have only had a couple disagreements with the IRS in my lifetime, and so far, they have all gone my way. Imagine my surprise this past week when I checked my bank balance (part of my weekly, anal, bookkeeping exercises) and found a significantly higher balance than I expected. OK... I was expecting the IRS refund to be automatically deposited, but in a smaller amount.
So, today I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the IRS. Most of it was spent waiting for them to answer when I first called, but I get a lot of practice at that every day with the insurance companies. So, I'm pretty good at being patient.
It paid off. I came to learn that I had completely missed a new credit that was available this year. And, what was so amazing about it was that I had circled it in the instruction booklet when I first scanned the new changes for 2009. But, then I got so involved with my standard routine of filing (and of course there was my annual irritation over being charged to e-file, which always results in my stubbornly filling out the papers manually, and mailing them in) that I never went back to calculate the credit.
Looks like the Hubs and I will be going shopping this weekend. Or, maybe we can just use it to pay some bills. Yeah, right!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Since Brian has his law firm, the extent of my tax preparation has been to make sure my W-2's come and then handing them all together over to Brian. Then he brings me back the forms the accountant prepares and I sign them. It's a much less stressfull way of doing taxes. At least for me anyway...

    ReplyDelete