Monday, June 29, 2009

Enough Already!

Periodically I get fed up enough with the media that I have to let off some steam. This time it centers around the death of Michael Jackson. I fully understand that he was an icon of sorts, and have enjoyed his music over the years. Let's face it, there is a reason the Thriller album is still the number one selling album of all time.

I also understand that an icon is a pulic figure, and a grief process is required when we lose them. So naturally I was tuned into the TV over the weekend, much like I was when John Lennon was shot, or when the Trade Center was struck.

What I don't understand is why the media must focus on the most sensational pieces of a remarkable story, until they are horribly distorted. I must have seen the video of Michael dangling his baby son over the balcony railing about a dozen times over the weekend. Clearly, this was not his claim to fame. Just one example of how a tragic childhood can continue to haunt future generations.

But, it seems what generates press is the shocking photo. The child's shoe in the street after a car accident. The First Lady's emotional reaction to her husband being shot. Just the right angle of the planes hitting the twin towers.

I wonder why just reporting the news, and telling a great story, are not enough any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment