Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise

This morning we went up to Vassar to play the Timbers golf course, one that we have not played before. Afterward we were going to stop in Frankenmuth to enjoy lunch on Zehnders (we belong to their birthday club, so we are each sent a coupon to be used during our birthday month).

The weather was beautiful, and the Timbers is a lovely course. I was also able to beat the Hubs by two strokes, which is always fun. We had a great time. We finished up about 12:30, and headed on to Frankenmuth.

What we didn't know was this is Bavarian Festival weekend. The big parade was scheduled to start at 1:00. The main street had been completely blocked off, so we had to find a parking space and walk in. That's the bad news.

The good news is that we were able to enjoy the music and festivities as we walked about 1/2 mile to Zehnders. The restaurant was not busy at all, since everyone was outside watching the parade. We had a great lunch (I enjoyed a plate of chicken livers - my favorite - and no one can make them quite like Zehnders). Afterward, we saw the end of the parade as we walked back to our car. And, let's face it, a long walk is just what the doctor ordered after one of those meals!

I remember going to Frankenmuth with the family, when I was a kid. I'm sure it must have been just once or twice, but I remember it as something we did when Uncle Joe and Father Francis came to visit. The town and the food have always been a special treat for me. But, I have never seen it during one of their festivals. The streets were lined with people sitting in folding chairs, eating soft pretzels and drinking beer. Lots of little girls in dresses, with flower crowns on their heads. Music playing from floats, and from storefronts. Many people just dancing in the street or in parking lots.

What fun! I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment