Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oh, Deer!

When we returned from our annual trip to Myrtle Beach last month, I was so happy to see that the tulips had bloomed while we were away. Then I looked at the ones in my own yard. Just stems! Dozens and dozens of them, left after the deer had munched off the blooms.

A couple weeks later, I was looking out my window, and noticed that my neighbors must have gotten a new dog. What looked like a large great dane was standing in their driveway, just looking around the neighborhood. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the large dog was really a small deer.

On the road, we are constantly on the lookout for the deer who jump in front of us. Fortunately we have not hit any (this year). But, what a shame. The plans to thin out the heard were blocked. Now they are starving, or hit by cars. And the meat that could have been donated to the people who are hungry just goes to waste. Something seems out of balance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment